Plans for 144 new homes in Kenilworth look set to go ahead despite council's objection

By James Smith

15th May 2024 | Local News

Houses are already under construction for phase one of the Kenilworth Gate development (image by James Smith)
Houses are already under construction for phase one of the Kenilworth Gate development (image by James Smith)

Town councillors' objections to plans to build 144 new houses in Kenilworth look set to be ignored, with a detailed application recommended for approval next week.

Warwick District Council's (WDC) planning committee will decide on Tuesday (May 21) whether Persimmon Homes' reserved matters application for the next phase of its Thickthorn development can be approved.

Kenilworth Town Council has twice objected to the scheme, saying its concerns have not been "satisfactorily addressed".

Full planning permission has already been granted for the first 98 homes along Leamington Road, which are now under construction, with some on the market.

The developer has been given outline planning consent for a further 452 homes, and did submit a reserved matters application for all of these last year.

However, a separate application for just a third of these homes is what will be decided by WDC next week.

The town council has questioned the amount of greenspace and the impact on traffic the development will have.

The latest application is for 144 homes at the other end of the Thickthorn site (image via planning application)

"There was concern that comments previously raised had not been satisfactorily addressed including the timing of the completion of the spine road and the block method of bringing this scheme forward," the council's latest objection said.

"A question was raised over the source and independence of the environmental health comments."

Previously town councillors had also said they were "dismayed" to learn the planned local centre has been relocated from the far eastern corner of the site to a more central location outside of this phase of development and replaced with housing.

If approved, the scheme will see the houses at the other end of the development given the green light, with a mixture of two, three, four and five-bed homes built.

Some 44 per cent (63 dwellings) would be designated affordable housing.

And now WDC planners have recommended the application be approved next week.

"Officers consider the proposed development would provide a high-quality residential environment in accordance with the Kenilworth Development Brief and the garden suburbs principles, including an appropriate mix of market and affordable housing and acceptable dwelling house and layout design solutions, including landscaping and substantial areas of public open space," a council report said.

"There would be no harm arising in terms of neighbour amenity, highway safety or ecology and as such it is considered the scheme therefore complies with the policies listed.

"Accordingly officers recommend that the reserved matters be approved."

The layout of the proposed houses (imgae via planning application)

The homes would make up phase two of the development, with phases three and four to be submitted further down the line.

Access to the second phase will come off Glasshouse Lane, funding for which has already been signed off.

When the council discussed the previous reserved matters application for the full 452 homes, councillors branded it "insulting".

Councillors also said they were "outraged" that the plans were not in line with the Land East of Kenilworth development brief - a major planning document designed to guide new estates across that side of town.

And councillors have previously revealed residents on the new estate will be forced to use the community facilities at the new Kenilworth School for a while, rather than the purpose-built facilities included in the application.

See the latest application here.

     

New kenilworth Jobs Section Launched!!
Vacancies updated hourly!!
Click here: kenilworth jobs

Share:

Related Articles

Cllr Alan Chalmers is the new Mayor of Kenilworth (image via Jamie Gray / KTC)
Local News

UP CLOSE: Meet the new Mayor of Kenilworth

The World of Park & Leisure Homes show heads to the NAEC Stoneleigh this June (image by Edward Hart)
Local News

Discover a 'completely new lifestyle' at free park and leisure homes show this June

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Kenilworth with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.