Kenilworth planning roundup: School's demolition, Woodside Hotel and HS2

By James Smith

18th May 2022 | Local News

Here are all the biggest planning stories from the last week in Kenilworth
Here are all the biggest planning stories from the last week in Kenilworth

Here are the biggest Kenilworth planning stories from the past week.

School's Demolition

Plans to demolish a local special school and replace it with 25 houses have been revealed by Coventry City Council.

The council wants to knock down Woodfield Primary School, Stoneleigh Road as it plans to build a much bigger SEND school at the vacant Woodlands Academy on Broad Lane.

Its secondary school site, located on Hawthorn Lane, could also be demolished and replaced by a further 129 houses.

Read the full story here.

-------------

HS2 Compound

HS2 has revealed plans to expand its compound on Stoneleigh Road by 30 hectares.

The 'temporary site' would be in use for around four years to store materials to use around Warwickshire

And the high speed rail developers predicts that 650 extra HGV movements could be made every day at peak times.

Read the full story here.

-------------

Castle Farm

Warwick District Council has announced that preparatory works have begun at Castle Farm Recreation Centre ahead of its demolition.

And whilst the contracts with AR Demolition and Kier are yet to be signed, the council said this was 'imminent'.

Read the full story here.

A CGI image of the proposed interior for the new Castle Farm Recreation Centre (Image via WDC)

-------------

Woodside Hotel

Warwick District Council has refused planning permission to demolish the Woodside Hotel.

Planners rejected the application on biodiversity grounds stating: "It has not been adequately demonstrated that the development would not lead to a net biodiversity loss."

It has also been revealed that the Glasshouse Lane hotel is on WDC's own 'Heritage Assets' list.

Read the full story here

-------------

The Garden Bar at the Pavilion

The owner of one of Kenilworth's favourite bars has said that Kenilworth Town Council is clutching at straws in its attempts to force her to close.

Councillors have launched a legal battle to make it harder to use Temporary Events Licenses to host outdoor events.

But the owner, Gabrielle Parry, said she could not understand why the council was going to such lengths.

See the story here.

Share:

Related Articles

A council report said Kenilworth Wardens' move to Castle Farm probably would not happen without more financial support
Local News

Council to discuss further £300k forward funding to help Kenilworth Wardens move to Castle Farm

HS2 construction workers inside the Long Itchington Wood tunnel (Image via HS2)
Local News

Next three months of Kenilworth HS2 works announced: Road closures, trees cleared and tunnel walls

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Kenilworth Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.