Kenilworth
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Council commits to doing 'No Mow May' again next year despite backlash from locals

Local News by James Smith 19th Jun 2023  
Hatton Park during No Mow May (image via local resident)
Hatton Park during No Mow May (image via local resident)
advertisement

Warwick District Council (WDC) has said it intends to take part in 'No Mow May' again next summer - despite continued concerns from residents over the past few weeks.

The scheme saw grass cutting suspended throughout last month across the area to let grass and wildflowers grow, providing a much-needed boost for insects and wildlife.

Grass cutting was suspended on highway verges, council housing estates and the majority of the district's parks and open spaces.

Cuts still took place in children's play areas, cemeteries, sports pitches and major parks including Jephson Gardens, Pump Room Gardens, St. Nicholas Park and Abbey Fields.

But with many verges and public spaces still not having been mowed midway through June, many locals have raised concerns about the scheme.

WDC has held an online consultation about the project, asking locals for feedback. This ended on Sunday (June 18).

And taking to Twitter, the local authority has defended its decision to take part, and said it is committed to doing No Mow May again in the future.

advertisement

"With the warm and wet weather we've been having, the grass has certainly thrived," the council said.

"It's taking our crews a little longer to get around than usual, but rest assured they're working hard in this heat and will get around.

"Our intention is to participate in No Mow May every year," the statement added.

"With the recent declaration of an ecological emergency, we recognise that we must do all we can to protect and support vital pollinators."

Following accusations the scheme has simply been a cost saving measure, WDC explained: "We're still doing the same number of cuts this year; the cuts that were due to take place in May will now happen later in the year, so no costs have been saved by taking part."

While some residents have criticised the amount of time it has taken the council to cut the verges this month, others have praised the efforts to boost local biodiversity.

     

CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
kenilworth vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: kenilworth jobs

     

Local news is in crisis.

Newspapers around the country are closing at an alarming rate.

Nub News is changing that.
Please consider supporting us.
Your contribution will be a GAME-CHANGER.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience
advertisement

Share:


advertisement

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Strawberry Daiquiri
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Bellini
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Pornstar Martini
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide kenilworth with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Kenilworth. Your Town. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience