Stallholders to be charged less for attending Kenilworth's weekly market

By James Smith 22nd Apr 2024

The cost of a stall at Kenilworth's weekly market was increased last year (image by James Smith)
The cost of a stall at Kenilworth's weekly market was increased last year (image by James Smith)

Stallholders at Kenilworth's Thursday market are set to receive a small reduction in charges, following a decision by Warwick District Council (WDC).

Councillors across the political spectrum last week rubber-stamped a decision to revise market charges across the district, after concerns were raised that local businesses were being priced out.

The local authority put up the cost for stalls on January 1 2024, but has now revisited its decision.

WDC's market operator, CJ's Events Warwickshire, had raised concerns that increased charges were making the weekly markets unaffordable for some vendors to attend.

The council's cabinet backed the plan to reduce the market costs earlier this month, with full council fully signing off on the decision last week.

At the end of last year the council agreed to raise the cost of a single stall from £33 per week at Kenilworth Market, to £35. This has now been put back down to £33.

Councillors were also told the decision would not have any impact on the council's budget, as the cost of stalls at the very popular Christmas markets were to be raised to cover the shortfall.

"The council's markets contractor, CJ's Events, has raised concerns relating to the increase in fees that was agreed at that time in relation to markets," the council's report said. 

"There is evidence that in some instances, there has been a decline in footfall at some of the markets and CJ's Events considers that traders would struggle to absorb the proposed increases. 

"In particular, the Kenilworth market is currently experiencing challenges, with low footfall in the market location, and this is impacting on support for the market."

The proposed changes to stall charges at local markets have been approved (image via WDC)

WDC also said ensuring market traders can still afford to attend the markets will ensure the weekly events will survive, therefore protecting the council's long-term revenue.

The report comes just weeks after Kenilworth Town Council committed to help boost footfall at the town's Thursday market in Abbey End.

The council's overview and scrutiny committee did say more evidence of the "reduced footfall" would be welcomed in the future.

"Committee requested that when in the future these types of recommendations are made, more evidential data backing up that proposals should be provided," Cllr Andrew Milton told cabinet members on behalf of O&S.

Councillors were also told the varied cost of markets across the district was "fair" and "based on footfall".

See the full report here.

     

Please Donate Kenilworth. Your Town. Your News. Your Support Matters.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
By becoming a monthly supporter, you’ll help us continue delivering reliable local stories and events.
Your support makes a real difference to Kenilworth.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience

Share:


Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide kenilworth with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Kenilworth. Your Town. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience